Your Dealership is the best Place for Oil Changes
It doesn’t happen a lot. From time to time though, you’ll hear a horror story about someone dropping into a quick lube place and then driving away with an improperly installed oil filter or drain plug. A few blocks or miles down the road, the oil filter or drain plug falls off and suddenly a quick trip for an oil change turns into an engine rebuild.
Let Pros take care of your Baby
It can be tempting to choose the convenience of a 20 minute oil change over bringing your vehicle to your dealership. However, your car is likely the most expensive item you’ll ever purchase next to your house. Here are some very good reasons why you should take it back to the dealer, even for minor maintenance like oil changes:
- When you take your vehicle back to a dealer for oil changes, the person doing the work is a highly trained professional. As a trained auto technician, they know exactly where the potential problem areas are on your vehicle and if there are any recalls or service bulletins. While your vehicle is up on the hoist, they can spot the things that need to be taken care of right away, or that will need to be repaired just down the road.
- Everything in the right amount. Too little oil is bad, but so is too much. A technician at your dealership will put in just the right amount – no more, and no less.
- Taking your car in for service is sort of like going to the doctor. While you could go to a different doctor every time, wouldn’t you rather go see someone who knows you inside out, your history, and can recognize changes in your overall health? When you have a regular mechanic, they get to know you and your vehicle and are more likely to spot potential problem areas.
- A car dealership wants you to keep coming back for service, and they want you to buy your next vehicle from them. In other words, they’ll bend over backwards to treat you right.
- When you spend $30,000 or $40,000 for a vehicle, it doesn’t make sense to scrimp on something as important as oil and other fluid changes.
- At car dealerships you can book a service appointment online. While your car is being serviced you can relax in a comfortable waiting area and surf the ‘net or watch TV while you enjoy refreshments and snacks. Some dealerships even have shuttles or loaner cars so you can go do other things while your car is being serviced.
- When you’re a regular customer of a dealership’s service department, you’ll find out about specials on things like oil changes. You might discover that it’s actually more economical to have routine maintenance done by the professionals at your dealership.
- Modern lubricants last a lot longer than they used to. Although the industry is starting to change, many quick lube shops still encourage their customers to have their oil changed every 5000km. That’s too soon, creates an added expense for you, and wastes oil unnecessarily. Your dealer knows the intervals recommended for your vehicle.
Cheaper and more Convenient? Not Necessarily
Many people are under the impression that it’s cheaper and more convenient to take their vehicle to a quick lube place for oil changes and minor vehicle inspections. They also think that car dealers are too busy to worry about minor maintenance. That’s not true. In fact, dealers are happy when you bring your vehicle to them for even minor maintenance like oil changes.
Your vehicle is a complex machine and oil and other lubricants are literally its lifeblood. Your dealership will ensure that your vehicle is getting the right lubricants in the right amounts, and trained eyes will look it over to make sure that everything is hunky dory before you drive away.
Coffee is Always Fresh
When it’s time for your next oil change, bring your vehicle to Kelowna Infiniti Nissan, enjoy a great cup of coffee, and relax in our comfortable lounge while our professional staff take care of your vehicle.